[Herbalist] BURN: (was well, I did it.....)

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Tue May 22 11:56:35 PDT 2001

>From: "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" <aheilvei at uiuc.edu>

When I was a young girl, I was in the kitchen while my grandmother was
cooking.  I watched her set a hot frying pan down carelessly on the stove &
turn her head.  The pan was not on the burner, and was sliding towards her
belly.

I reached out & grabbed the pan, accidentally wrapping my finger around the
hot metal part where the handle attatched.  I picked it up (so it wouldn't
land against her belly) and slowly set it down in the middle of the floor...
because I no longer was cabable of lifting it to the stove!  Then I silently
walked out of the kitchen, bent over my blistered hand.

My grandmother followed me, and saw my hand.  My right index finger was
severely burned -- it was one huge blister.  (We're talking maybe 30 seconds
later, here.)  She went to the aloe plant, cut a big "leaf", sliced it open,
and stuck my finger inside it.

I never saw a doctor -- she didn't deem it necessary.  She kept fresh aloe
leaf in constant contact with my burn (trimming off skin & thorns &
bandaging it directly to the burn) until it healed.  If I experienced pain,
it was probably time to change or "freshen" the aloe(by scraping a
fingernail accross the exposed pulp to break open more cells and release
more "gel").

I will tell you that the aloe greatly reduced the pain, I suffered no
infection, and there was never a scar.

If you choose to do this, I recommend the actual leaf.  Aloe Vera "gel" that
I have purchased from the stores without fail BURNS when I put it on a burn.
  (Maybe because of the preservatives they have to add?)  I have NEVER
experienced this with the leaf.

--Katherine Blackthorne