[Herbalist] burns

Prydwen gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Wed May 23 10:07:01 PDT 2001

This is one my husband taught me.

I had been cooking spaghetti for dinner and went to remove it from the
stove.  I couldn't find my second potholder, so I grabbed a towel and
doubled it up under the second handle.  As I swung the still boiling pot
around to the sink and colander, the trailing towel end caught on the
burner and stopped the whole pot.  Boiling water sheeted across my right
hand and up my wrist, blisters appearing instantly.  Needless to say, my
comments were more than "Ouch."  I turned the cold water on and submerged
my hand and arm, but every time I removed it the pain was intense.  I was
seriously contemplating heading for the emergency room when Ken wandered
in, quietly pulled the milk from the refrigerator, (in the SCA, he was
known as Kenneth the Underwhelmed), soaked a paper towel in milk and
dropped it on my arm.  Instant relief!!  After about three hours of milk
"poultices, wraps", I could sleep relatively pain free.  I went to work the
next day and in two days the blisters were coming off with new skin
underneath.  I'd never heard of using milk on burns before, just the old
"butter" business, but this really worked!

Prydwen