[Herbalist] RE: Black Walnut redux

Wendy Freeman/Otte wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Tue Nov 6 13:40:29 PST 2001

Leather dye cannot be processed like fabric dye (leather does strange things in hot water).  There is a recipe in the Plictho - I think it uses an alcohol or oil base instead of water.  I'll try to remember to look it up when I get home.
The fabric method is to cover the hulls in water and set on a warm hearth to ferment for a few weeks.  It smells worse than an indigo vat!  (I sealed them in plastic cider jars and put them near my stove. I vented them when I wanted some peace in the house.)

-H.L. Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh, Ansteorra

--
--Wendy F. Otte

"To err is human