[Herbalist] Iasmin's Unfinished Master Bib of Herbal Refs

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Thu Oct 4 22:04:27 PDT 2001

It's late and I'm tired so forgive me as I babble. Here it is. This
is one of the most recent versions of my Master Herbal Bibliography
in its unfinished form. It consists of stuff I own or have *easy*
access to. If I don't have the manuscript personally, I've access to
it online (and published herein for everyone's benefit with the last
date I accessed them).  Let me know if you have any trouble reading
some of the text.

The bib doesn't include things like Pliny's "Natural History" because
I can't afford a copy of that series yet or some of the more obscure
period source materia that's more philosophically based. And it
doesn't include some of the Hippocratic writings or the works of
Galen I own or have access to because quite frankly I'm trying to
figure out how to properly attribute them in a bibliography (*blush*).

It also doesn't include but two true cooking text because I've not
taken the time to write most of those down yet. Theoretically I could
include them as many of them have references to herbal stuff,
including ointments and balms, but there's quite a number of them and
I've not done it yet. I've not included sources like the Clifford
Herbarium or the Linneaus Herbarium (both available online) because I
was focusing at the time at the texts not the pictures. One of the
major source types I'm lacking are reliable references to period
apothecary works. I hope to expand this in the near future.

The bib shown here heavily weighted to pre-1900s Western European
herbals with the majority of them being period and near-period
documents. I've done that on purpose. I don't have access to many
non-English herbals (though I know they exist in large numbers).
Likewise, modern references on herbs are a dime a dozen.

I can expound on the usefulness of each of the items here if you'd
like, annotation style, at some point in the future if it would help.
But I can't guarantee when. ;-) You're welcome to republish this bib
to your local newsletters and such if it helps anyone. If you don't
mind, I'd kind of like a little credit for it as I took some time
compiling it. It's listed in a bastardized form of the APA style, in
case anyone is wondering (mostly because that's what my mundane
degree required and that's what I remember best).

I hope people don't think this is ego pumping, but for reference if
you publish it, here's my full title with alphabet soup. Use as much
or as little of it as you like (or none of the title at all). I know
sometimes it helps for some groups of people, so I'll put it here for
you if you need it (I really hope I don't offend anyone with it; if I
do, please accept my apologies). Oh yes, and please feel free to
publish my electronic contacts with it if you think it would help:

La Doña Honorablé (The Honorable Lady), Iasmin de Cordoba
Baronesa (Baroness) Roaring Wastes, Middle Kingdom
OPF, RKC, CW, CSO, CE
Mundanely: Gaylin J. Walli
Email: iasmin at home.com  AIM ID: IasminDeCordoba

Iasmin's Unfinished Master Bibliography of Herbal References

Anonymous. (late 14th Cent/1976). Tacuinum Sanitatis in Medicina [The
Medieval Health Handbook]. Arano, L. C. (Editor). O. Ratti & A.
Westbrook (Translators). New York: George Braziller. ISBN 0807608084

Archestratus. (4th Cent. B.C./1994). The life of luxury. J. Wilkins &
S. Hill (Editors). Great Britain: Prospect Books. ISBN 090732553X.

Brodin, G. (late 14th Cent/1950). Agnus Castus: A Middle English
herbal reconstructed from various manuscripts. Uppsala, Sweden:
Almqvist & Wiksells Boktryckeria AB.

Culpeper, N. (1652). The English physitian: or an astrologo-physical
discourse of the vulgar herbs of this nation. London: Peter Cole.
Available:
http://www.med.yale.edu/library/historical/culpeper/culpeper.htm
Also: http://www.bibliomania.com/2/1/66/113/20916/1/frameset.html (03
October 2001)

Felter, H. W., Lloyd, J. U. (1898). King's American Dispensatory
(18th Ed., 3rd Rev.). Available:
http://helios.oit.unc.edu/herbmed/eclectic/kings/intro.html (02
October 2001)

Frisk, G. (c. 850/1949). A Middle English translation of Macer
Floridus de Viribus Herbarium. Uppsala, Sweden: Almqvist & Wiksells
Boktryckeria AB.

Fuchs, L. (1545). Medici, Primi de stirpivm historia commentariorvm
tomi uiuæ imagines, in exiguam angustioremq[ue] forman contractæ, ac
quam fieri potest artificiosissime expressæŠ [Fuchs Botanical].
Available: http://www.med.yale.edu/library/historical/fuchs/ (03
October 2001)

Gerard, J. (1633/1973). The herbal: Or a general history of plants.
T. Johnson (Editor). New York: Dover. ISBN 048623147X

Grieve, M. (1931/1973). A modern herbal. New York: Barnes and Noble
Books. ISBN 0880299215. Available: http://www.botanical.com/ (02
October 2001)

Lampe, K. F., McCann, M. A. (1985). AMA handbook of poisonous and
injurious plants. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association. ISBN
0899701833

Markham, G. (c. 1615/1998). The English housewife: Containing the
inward and outward virtues which ought to be in a complete woman.
Michael Best (Editor). Montreal, Canada: McGill-Queen's University
Press. ISBN 0773511032.

De Notredame, M. [Nostradamus]. (1572/1996). The elixirs of
Nostradamus: Nostradamus' original recipes for elixirs, scented
water, beauty potions and sweetmeats. (Boeser, K., Ed.). Wakefield,
Rhode Island: Moyer Bell. ISBN 1559211555

Platina. (c.1465/1998). On right pleasure and good health: A critical
edition and translation of De Honesta Voluptate et Valetudine. M. E.
Milham (Editor and Translator). Tempe, Arizona: Medieval and
Renaissance Texts and Studies. ISBN 0866982086.

della Porta, G. (1558/1584). Magiae naturalis [Natural Magick].
Available: http://members.tscnet.com/pages/omard1/jportat5.html (03
October 2001)

Riddle, John M. (1985). Dioscorides and medicine. Austin, Texas:
University of Texas Press. ISBN 0292715447

Strabo. (late 9th Cent/1966). Hortulus. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: The
Hunt Botanical Library. LoC# 66-20398

Von Bingen, H. (c. 1155/1998). Physica [Medicine]. P. Throop
(Translator). Rochester, Vermont: Healing Arts Press. ISBN 0892816619