[Herbalist] Re: Herbalist digest, Vol 1 #99 - 4 msgs

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Sat Oct 13 20:57:18 PDT 2001

In a message dated 10/13/01 1:03:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
herbalist-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> Greeting to the list,
       (SNIP)
...  I'd say our moderator and Pug

> have been doing very well.  I would rather the list not become restriced if
> it doesn't have to.

       (G) What she said............

> BTW does anyone know of a non-toxic herb that could be used to create a
> black (or extremely dark) dye?

       Probably the easiest one to obtain that I know of is black walnut
hulls. This is the right time of year for them, too! They will, however,
stain anything they touch, so you need to wear gloves and olds clothes to
gather them. I haven't done much dying so I'm not sure if they need a mordant
or not, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that one is unneccessary. My
folks have black walnut trees all along their property line, so I grew up
learning to be careful of the mess the hulls make in the fall! :-)

                         Ldy Diana