[Herbalist] Black walnut hulls

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Sun Oct 14 11:02:44 PDT 2001

>        Probably the easiest one to obtain that I know of is black walnut
> hulls. This is the right time of year for them, too! They will, however,
> stain anything they touch, so you need to wear gloves and olds clothes to
> gather them. I haven't done much dying so I'm not sure if they need a mordant
> or not, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that one is unneccessary. My
> folks have black walnut trees all along their property line, so I grew up
> learning to be careful of the mess the hulls make in the fall! :-)

Question: Do you need to wait until the hulls start to turn black and
fall off the nuts to use them, or do you scrape them off green?

-Magdalena
who's been coming up with creative things to do with her massive black
walnut bounty... including hitting them into the bushes with a golf club
for the dog to chase.