[Herbalist] RE: Black Dye

Wendy Freeman/Otte wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Mon Oct 15 06:29:25 PDT 2001

I did some extensive research on the subject of Black a few years ago.  Here are my results, in a nutshell:

On wool: Start, if possible, with black wool.  Use Black Walnut hulls, fermented for 14 days (warning - it stinks worse than vat dyes!).  Use a strong iron postmordant.  Don't use this on silk - it roughens the fiber terribly.

On wool and silk: The ancient favorite was the three-step method: indigo, then madder, then Weld (or another strong yellow).  My Madder pots are cursed, so this never worked as well for me - but it was used for centuries as the only decent (and expensive!) way to make black.  There were some historical comments that indicated that it did not work as well on the new-fangled cotton fiber.

On cotton and silk: The Elizabeth-damned dye of Logwood.  (She DID damn it, forbid it, and swear never to wear it - it ruined her woad/indigo industries.)  The trick with Logwood is the pre-mordant - I use a 5-mordant recipe of alum, copper (sulphate & acetate), tannin (old madder roots are traditional), and tin.  I don't have the recipe with me - but the amounts I think are in that order, most to least.  Wool didn't take as well to Logwood - it came out grey-ish.  But the silk was beautiful.

-H.L. Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh, of Loch Soillier, Ansteorra

--
--Wendy F. Otte

"To err is human