[Herbalist] Re: Herbalist digest, Vol 1 #101 - 2 msgs

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon Oct 15 11:37:43 PDT 2001

In a message dated 10/15/01 1:04:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
herbalist-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> Question: Do you need to wait until the hulls start to turn black and
> fall off the nuts to use them, or do you scrape them off green?

       Gather them green, so the squirrels don't get them all, then let them
sit and turn black before crumbling the hulls away from the nuts. The hulls
will come off MUCH easier that way, even if the mess-ratio is a bit steeper.
;-) Just wear the afore-mentioned old clothes for the chore, and make sure
the gloves you use are moisture resistant, as the black juice *will* seep
through plain cotton ones. (Ask me how I know......... ;-) )
       Oh, and in case anyone is unclear on the topic, *black* walnuts are an
American tree, so I doubt they would have been used to any significant degree
in Europe within our period. Soooooooo, just don't plan to use them on an A&S
project!

                   Diana