[Herbalist] dragons

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 10:59:52 PDT 2001

>From: Sue Rogers <wjwakefield at juno.com>
>
>I can't tell what plant he is talking about.  It appears to be a member
>of the Arum or lily family, but offhand I can't think of what it might
>be.  Anyone else?

Sorry -- I'm not familiar enough with the Culpepper.  (Except for the
"illustrated herbal" printed in the '80's, which is severely abridged!)

>Dragonsblood is the resin of Demomorops draco or any of several other
>species of tree, growing primarily in Sumatra.

Commonly known as "Dragon Palms".

>The resin appears on the
>outside of the ripe berries.  This from Mrs. Grieve's Modern Herbal.
>Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
>TX)

The resin is red, and comes from the Dragon Palm.  Hence, "Dragon's Blood".
I love this stuff if for no other reason than the name.  (Plus I happen to
REALLY like the smell when burnt as incense.)

--Katherine Blackthorne