[Herbalist] Bayberry wax

RoseThstle@aol.com RoseThstle at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 14:46:56 PST 2001

In a message dated 10/31/01 11:44:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
silveroak at juno.com writes:

> Pilgrims started decimating
> the bushes for the berries, and the destruction wasn't halted till the
> early 70's (again, IIRC).

Well, not only the Pilgrims but all settlers as well.  Most of the time they
didn't use bayberries as their exclusive source but mixed the wax with tallow
to stiffen tallow candles.   As most people thought in those times, the
resources were unlimited and their ignorance lead to the decimation.   Don't
be too hard on them.  I think we would have done the same thing if we were
there.

I have found dried bayberries at herb stores but I don't think we'll get the
wax from those.