[Herbalist] Bayberry wax

Corwyn and Carowyn silveroak at juno.com
Wed Oct 31 15:04:20 PST 2001

Hello!

>Well, not only the Pilgrims but all settlers as well.  Most of the time
they
>didn't use bayberries as their exclusive source but mixed the wax with
>tallow to stiffen tallow candles.   As most people thought in those
times,
>the resources were unlimited and their ignorance lead to the decimation.

>Don't be too hard on them.  I think we would have done the same thing
>if we were there.

I wasn't being hard on the Pilgrims - I was using the word to define the
starting point of the destruction of bayberry bushes.  To me, "Pilgrim" =
"first European settlers in the Northeast".  That's all.  If anything,
I'd be harder on the people in the 60's & 70's who knew better, knew they
were destroying the bushes, but kept doing it anyway without modifying
their harvest just because they were still getting money!

>I have found dried bayberries at herb stores but I don't think we'll
>get the wax from those.

Hmmm - there *may* be some wax still on the berries, but I'd have to see
them to make sure.

-Caro