[Herbalist] A Sad Day in Ostgardr

Corwyn and Carowyn silveroak at juno.com
Wed Sep 12 10:19:04 PDT 2001

Forwarded With Permission.

From: "Ian Mitchell"
Subject: [Sca-cooks] A Sad Day in Ostgardr
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:06:56

A Sad Day in Ostgardr (Please forward to other SCA lists who might be
interested)

Greetings to all the friends of Ostgardr across the Known World on the
morning after from Baron Ian of Clan Mitchell the Viceroy of the Crown
Province of Ostgardr.(The Baron of New York)

First let me say that we think we have accounted for all the members of
the
SCA who worked in the World Trade Center. All survived. Some of the
stories
of escape are hair raising..

Thank you all for your concern.,

Even though the Scadian family seem to have all escaped, none of us are
untouched. The  Deputy Chief who coordinated the Police Department's
United
Way Campaign for three years (That's what I do) is listed among the dead.
have not yet dealt with the loss of my friend.

My son, Mitch Jr. (Lord Michael MacIan), is a paramedic. Please keep him
in
your thoughts -- he works for a private ambulance company that took heavy
casualties at the base of the WTC yesterday morning. Thank GOD he wasn't
there when it collapsed, but was held at the mouth of the Brooklyn
Battery
Tunnel by dispatch. He was on the phone complaining loudly to his mother
that he couldn't get in there to help..when the buildings  collapsed. And
he
fell silent as he stared at the cloud rising where the buildings had
been.
The picture that the networks  keep showing of ambulances crushed and ash
covered is of the staging area for his company.  He knows of one friend
killed, one in very critical condition, twenty injured and a dozen among
the
missing. He is scheduled to be there at 7AM today, Wednesday.

People have asked , "What can we do?"
My response is pray and give blood and money to the Red Cross.   New York
only had a two day supply before this happened. I helped with crowd
control
at one of the blood centers yesterday. People were wonderful. The need
was
so great that the motorcycle cops were making pickups every half hour.
This
blood need is not going away soon.

Please keep us all in your thoughts as we come to grips with what has
happened to our City and our friends.

You can reach me at ianmitchell at yahoo.com