[Herbalist] FW: Miss Manners vs. the Authenticity Police

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:45:12 PDT 2001

I loved it!

I once went (in garg) to visit a friend who was working Ren Faire.  While
visiting with her, I received many compliments from her guild on my garb.
Finally, I was asked to work the next day.  (Sunday.)

Since I wanted to spend more time with my friend, I said yes.

They then stood there & picked apart the garb they had just finished gushing
over, telling me (among other things) that the tie on my bodice wouldn't do,
that I needed to by "period" leather shoes.  That the (coarse linnen)
partlet I was wearing was "above my station"  (it wasn't), the cut of my
bodice was wrong, and the list went on.

Needless to say, I didn't bother going back to them!

--Katherine