[Herbalist] Saleratus?

Corwyn and Carowyn silveroak at juno.com
Fri Apr 12 06:24:29 PDT 2002

Greetings to the list!

May I request help for a thing I can't do for myself right now?  A few
weeks ago I was at Harper's Ferry National Historic Site, and I went into
their general store.  Out of period, yes, but you'd be surprised at how
much period info you can glean from such places!  ;-)  Anyway, they had a
whole bunch of herb boxes and tea boxes lined up, and I could place the
herb or tea mix for each one... except the one marked "Saleratus".  What
is that?  I'd look it up myself, but my herb books are buried right now.
I'm excavating the area in front of them, but I'm not there yet, and I
thought I'd ask for help.

-Caro (now I want a tea caddy!)