[Herbalist] Monthly visitor

demetria demetria at demetria.com
Wed Apr 17 04:55:05 PDT 2002

Red Raspberry leaf is fine for pregnancy. Early on it can  stimulate uterine
tining often mistaken for contractions. It is not contraindicated for
pregnancy. If one has a history of misscarriage then possibly this should
not be used, this would be more to ease the mother's mind.
Indications: Raspberry leaves have a long tradition of use in pregnancy to
strengthen and tone the tissue of the womb, assisting contractions and
checking any haemorrhage during labour. As an astringent it may be used in
awide range of cases, including diarrhoea, leucorrhoea and other loose
conditions. It is valuable in the easing of mouth problems such as mouth
ulcers, bleeding gums and inflammations. As a gargle it will help sore
throats. Raspberry is also very rich in iron and calcium.

Preparations & Dosage: Infusion: pour a cup of boiling water onto 2
teaspoonfuls of the dried herb and let infuse for l0-l5 minutes. This may be
drunk freely.

Tincture: take 2-4 ml of the tincture three times a day. ( David Hoffmann)

RED RASPBERRY LEAVES (Rubus spp.)

Brewed as a tea or as an infusion, raspberry is the best known, most widely
used, and safest of all uterine and pregnancy tonic herbs. It contains
fragrine, an alkaloid which gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region,
including the uterus itself.

Most of the benefits ascribed to regular use of Raspberry tea through
pregnancy are traced to the nourishing source of vitamins and minerals found
in this plant and to the strengthening power of fragrine - an alkaloid which
gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself.
Of special note are the rich concentration of vitamin C, the presence of
vitamin E and the easily assimilated calcium and iron. Raspberry leaves also
contain vitamins A and B complex and many minerals, including phosphorous
and potassium.

The benefits of drinking a raspberry leaf brew before and throughout
pregnancy include:

~ Increasing fertility in both men and women. Raspberry leaf is an excellent
fertility herb when combined with Red Clover.

~ Preventing miscarriage and hemorrhage. Raspberry leaf tones the uterus and
helps prevent miscarriage and postpartum hemorrhage from a relaxed or atonic
uterus.

~ Easing of morning sickness. Many attest to raspberry leaves' gentle relief
of nausea and stomach distress throughout pregnancy.

~ Reducing pain during labor and after birth. By toning the muscles used
during labor and delivery, Raspberry leaf eliminates many of the reasons for
a painful delivery and prolonged recovery. It does not, however, counter the
pain of pelvic dilation.

~ Assisting in the production of plentiful breast milk. The high mineral
content of Raspberry leaf assist in milk production, but its astringency may
counter that for some women.

~ Providing a safe and speedy pariuntion. Raspberry leaf works to encourage
the uterus to let go and function without tension. It does not strengthen
contractions, but does allow the contracting uterus to work more effectively
and so may make the birth easier and faster.
Susun Weed
These are two valuable resources.

Demetria Clark