[Herbalist] Re: Raspberry Leaf Bad?

Corwyn and Carowyn silveroak at juno.com
Wed Apr 17 10:08:10 PDT 2002

Greetings!  I'm about to ask some disturbing questions, so please feel
free to delete if you've had miscarriages and don't wish to be reminded.

>What a nurse-midwife and an obstetrics nurse told me was that they can
make
>the baby's heartbeat faster, yes, and that they can also cause a fragile
>pregnancy to miscarry or go into premature labor. They said that they
>were basing these opinions on what they had seen in women using it.

Hmmm.  This is a thought, and not a very nice one, but I wonder if it has
merit anyway.  Do you suppose that this was deliberately done in
centuries past, to weed out the sickly fetuses before they could put more
pressure on the mother?  Especially with those women who would have
trouble carrying anyway, as a way of pre-selecting for stronger babies
that would survive after birth?  (And therefore bringing them into cycle
faster, so they can have a possible healthy baby faster?)  I think, in
other ages and places, people might look at it as good common sense.

Not that I'm advocating any of this!  I'm just trying to look at what
seems to be a direct contradiction, and coming up with a possible
explanation of the Middle Age mentality.

-Caro