[Herbalist] red raspberry leaf & cramp bark

HL Fridhur Haralds ladyfridr at prodigy.net
Wed Apr 17 14:56:00 PDT 2002

More info on Red Raspberry:  There are two varieties.  Rubus strigosus which
is wild red raspberry and Rubu idaeus which is garden raspberry or European
red raspberry.

In John Lust's "The Herb Book" he lists Rubus idaeus as having properties
of:  astringent, cardiac, and refrigerant.  But the Rubus strigosus does not
have the same properties and its use "by pregnant women to prevent
miscarriage, increase milk, and reduce labor pains."

It seems to me that the variety of Red Raspberry that you ingest would make
a big difference.  I had such a wonderful experience with my last pregnancy.
My third child was born at home after a short but intense labor.  I drank a
pregnancy tea with Red Raspberry from the time I learned I was pregnant.  I
have always attributed this very good pregnancy experience with the tea.  It
had been 8 years since the birth of my second child (also at home) and I was
35 at the time.  I don't know which red raspberry herb I used in the tea but
I didn't have any problems.  Once again, though, all herbs are medicine and
should be treated with respect.  I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience.

Fridr