[Herbalist] Re: Imported Species, Redux.

Audette des Grenouilles audette at sapheron.org
Tue Aug 13 08:10:49 PDT 2002

My poor potted herbs (basil, parsley, oregano, mint and chives) are all thriving, despite my best attempts to kill them off...

In fact, I have even had a chance to harvest some of the basil, and it's now tucked in the freezer awaiting my pleasure. :)

The mint is about ready to get thinned out, too.  When I'm on top of my work, I can usually get them watered about twice weekly, which is why they are having small fits with me.  But, they haven't dies out yet.

And I suppose it might help to mention I am in Bryn Gwlad (austin), and they are sitting on a north-ish facing apartment patio.

Audette

Tricia Emery <jessimond at yahoo.com> said:
:--
:[ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ]
:
:>"Fire ants do deter snakes. The deterrence of snakes often leads to an excess of grasshoppers, mice, voles, moles, rats, and rabbits."
:
:Not here in South Mississippi!  I have mounds of fire ants, but STILL have snakes (and voles, rats and rabbits).  Most of our snakes our poisonous as well - five different species to be exact!  Haven't seen much English Ivy, but Kudzu doesn't take ten years to do what you described - it can do it in three... Hey, maybe that's why we don't have English Ivy - the Kudzu has choked it all out!
:
:>"(I really dislike Texas, passionately, and partly for that exact reason...)"
:
:Ugh- ditto here, and my dear, loving husband wants us to move back to West Texas or The Hill Country when he retires in a couple of years!
:
:To get a bit back on topic, how well do herbs grow in Texas?  I tried some in pots here, but they have all just about bit the dust.  The ones I planted in the garden aren't fairing too much better.  We had lots of rain for several weeks, and then none at all...  Even with the rain, the heat still took my French tarragon.
:
:Jessimond
:
:
:
:Do You Yahoo!?
:Yahoo! Autos - Get free new car price quotes
:Herbalist mailing list
:Herbalist at ansteorra.org