[Herbalist] Re: Imported Species,

dwilson dwilson at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Aug 13 09:01:08 PDT 2002

  This is an interesting subject to me personally as I move plant material
around, seeds mostly; I gather in a swamp close to where I live and plant
them or broadcast them on the beach zone in the local coal mining strip
mines.  I would normally go `upstream` to gather seeds but the water in the
pits is a hundred feet in the ground.  minimum. and no outlet for the water
so I don't worry to much about migration.
  I am careful what I plant (I also study and know what I gather) as I don't
want to introduce purple loosestrife. An import from Europe that takes over
large tracts of wetlands here and has no enemies and no place (Food value?)
in the local food chain. Having said that, I think meadow sweet and evening
primrose are fair game as they are naturalized imports in this part of the
country for a long time and I gather from other local strip mines so I know
they have a good chance to take.
  I like bio-diversity and think it is easily managed if one does their home
work.
Sheepstealer

Waiting for the dogwood berries to ripen
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/jamy/pic/dogwood.jpg