[Herbalist] shade

dwilson dwilson at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Aug 20 04:24:02 PDT 2002

-----Original Message-----

>Well, I quit trying to grow them over the summer after several summers of
>regularly killing them off. I have an East facing balcony with NO shade
>whatsoever - clay pots dried out too quick no matter what I tried - even
>plastic pots needed water every day.

I lost a 10 year old bonsai in one afternoon last year.  It was in the sun
in front of a light colored wall.  I have fixed this with a colour change of
the wall behind and I use a cheep blanket (The weave is looser and lets
through some light) over the railing in front of (not over) my plants on
really hot sunny days.  If you landlord doesn't like the blanket maybe a 12
inch board or a lathe board in front of your plants to cut down on the
direct sunlight would work?.
Sheepstealer