[Herbalist] Re: First Aid Kit

Corwyn and Carowyn silveroak at juno.com
Wed Aug 21 11:24:22 PDT 2002

Greetings!

>Do share.  What do you put in your herbal first aid kit?  I'd be most
>interested as this is
>something that I should probably take to events.  Is  it all based
>on historical recipes?

(Caro looks around - vacation's over, and i think I can get back to this
without being interrupted...)

Okay, here are the things in my kit so far, and why.  Starred ones are
period or close-to-period recipes:

1)  Uncooked grits.  Yep.  After camping on the Serengeti at Pennsic,
which is one big ant hill, grits are your friends.  Sprinkle around on a
hot day, sit back, and listen for the explosions within two hours.  If
there's any rain or heavy dew or mist, re-apply.  I can entertain you
with the stories of this year's explosions.... ;-)

2)  Bruise balm.  The recipe's been posted (check the files, I know it's
in there).  Great stuff.

3)* Hungary Oil - made for me by Jadwiga, since I'm a rosemary nut.
Makes me smell good.

4)* Anti - Bug Mix - lavender, pennyroyal, wormwood, southernwood, sweet
annie.  PUNGENT, but keeps the bugs at bay.

5) Sinus sniffing jar - for those stuffy days.  Not quite smelling salts,
but it's getting there.  It's a commercial blend, so I can't tell you
what-all's in it.  Next time I'm at an event, could someone help me
figure it out?

6) Tea Tree Oil - anti bug, and also takes the itch out of bites.

7) Lavender EO - for burn treatment when I don't have lemons

8)* Rosemary-Lavender Tincture - to also smell nice; my own tincture.

9)* Carmelite Water - also to smell nice; my own tincture.

10) Anti-Chafing powder - Gennevote's recipe.  I'm going to try one with
a talc base someday.

11)* Balm - Jadwiga's recipe; for dry skin.

12) Anti-Gas Cordial - Jadwiga's recipe; really cuts those gassy days.

13) Dried Mullein - Lenni Lenape lore says it's good for keeping evil
influences away.  I plan on trying it!

14) Neosporin - because someone gave it to me, and it looked proper to
carry!  ;-)

15) Stevia - for those "I need a sweet" days.

16) Salt - for those "I need a salt" days.

-Caro