[Herbalist] Danish translations-of flavour in cooking

BJ of NZ bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Feb 21 02:52:04 PST 2002

A wonderful friend of mine has just sent me these
lists she made of Flavours used

 Spices used in a 14th C Danish cookbook:
Salt, saffron, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, pepper,
cinnamon, ginger,
mustard, anise, red onion, parsley, garlic, mint,
verjuice, thyme,
sage, cumin, sugar, vinegar

this text was incomplete and these are the spices that
are used with preservation Recipies ie-pickles etc.

Spices used in a 1616 Danish cookbook:
Cumin, anise, coriander, dill seed, fennel seed, salt,
cloves,
lavender, sage, hyssop, wormwood, [byncke], rosemary,
heartsease,
mint, bay berries, angelica root, ginger, [calmus],
cinnamon bark,
pepper, saffron, sugar, honey, cloves, pepper,
coriander, raisins,
honey, pepper, cloves, nutmeg flowers, thyme,
marjoram, L?nborg salt,
Baisalt, ginger, cinnamon, [kallun], dried thyme,
'herbs', horse
radish, cardamom, grains of paradise, cubebs,
galingale, long pepper,
nutmeg, parsley, parsley root, anise, juniper berries,
onion, garlic,
rosewater, olive oil, almonds, candied anise,
coriander seed, red
onion, aniseed, [karbe], candied elder flower,
pomegranate, sage,
mustard, vinegar.

I'm writing an article on salt  and the danes were
quite specific in using mineral or sea salt
Can any one direct me to interesting,useful web
addresses

=====