[Herbalist] RE: Matilda Bone by Karen Cushman

Wendy Freeman/Otte wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Tue Jul 2 07:45:48 PDT 2002

I haven't read Matilda Bone, but I've read her Midwife's Apprentice, and skimmed some of your other books.  (They were gifts to a young lady I was mentoring  - age 13.)  They seemed to be well-written, if a bit gruesomely realistic on the details.  They also seemed to be true-to-fact on the details.  (Manure piles do make warm, if smelly beds, and childbirth is painful and messy, and I vaguely remember some herblore which matched my research...)

For an overall impression and review: an excellent writer for the mature child interested in women in the Middle Ages.  I would not hesitate to allow my daughter to read her books, barring a quick age-appropriate check, and would look forward to a series of deep conversations afterwards.

(Background: I censor my daughter's reading, after blindly allowing her to absorb a filthy book "recommended" by the library - Dumb Bunnies <gag!>  I insist on skimming the books for inappropriate content/themes before she may check them out.  There are very few authors to which I give a "check-out-any-book" approval.  Cushman will be one of them, when my daughter turns 13.)

Is this what you were looking for?
In Service,
--Wyllow