[Herbalist] RE: Herbalist digest, Vol 1 #202 - 6 msgs

Wendy Freeman/Otte wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Wed Jul 3 06:54:55 PDT 2002

Ah, well...being a dyer who dabbles in herbs (there's a lot of cross-over - I just don't usually eat my plants <grin>), my impression was favorable - the herbal lore mentioned in the Midwife's Apprentice seemed to be well researched, and I remember nodding in agreement whenever I ran across an herb I use.

As for women's roles in the Middle Ages, we have to give a little for poetic license - after all, it IS a story.  We also must realize that much of women's work was ignored, supressed, or credited to someone else by the historians and writers of the Middle Ages.  It's easier to re-write history than to stop a determined spirit.  I cannot believe that our spirit has changed that much - and women usually find a way to do what needs to be done.  Also remember that most laws were written *because* something was happening, not to prevent it from happening - that can give us a whole different perspective on typical lives.
So, her stories didn't seem that far-fetched.
But, now I'll have to read Matilda Bone...
--Wyllow