[Herbalist] invasive climbing ivy

Tara Boroson tboroson at netcarrier.com
Wed Jul 24 04:25:55 PDT 2002

Amazingly enough, people plant the stuff on purpose.  We have a good bit
of it planted ornamentally by a previous owner.  It's choking out a
couple of trees, including two massive basswoods that we need to rescue.
 Very pretty stuff, but a serious pain in the butt.  It's that beautiful
ivy that you see climbing the sides of buildings... holding water
against the walls and causing seepage and cracks.

We managed to get rid of one patch of it without resorting to
herbacides.  We mowed it down (it took several passes in different
directions,) then my husband tried to till to rip up the roots.  Well,
that was no use.  The tiller couldn't handle them.  He actually cut
through the soil with a reciprocating saw to chop the roots into
manageable pieces, then tilled to churn them up.  We raked them out,
then tilled and raked again.  Then we reseeded with grass, so we can mow
right over any little bits that try to come back.  So far, the only
feeble attempt it's made has been at the base of a little azalea bush
where we had to be more careful about chopping and tilling.

I've made a personal pledge never to plant anything more invasive than
strawberries in any non-contained place.  My horseradish is in a small,
fully contained garden.  Mints are in large pots.  One of these days,
we'll chop out the rest of the hedera and pray that we can kill it.

-Magdalena