[Herbalist] invasive climbing ivy

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Jul 24 05:35:17 PDT 2002

> I've made a personal pledge never to plant anything more invasive than
> strawberries in any non-contained place.

*laugh*
One of the plants that I'm fighting a losing war against is those
decorative strawberries. They are all over my yard and trying to choke out
the Lily of the Valley, the rosebushes, not to mention the mint, tansy and
lemon balm that I finally planted in the completely contained area next to
the house because I got tired of trying to mow it.

I am SO sick of strawberry plants. They aren't even pretty or useful,
unlike the masses of violets that take over even in my potted plants if
I'm not careful.

I've planted a bunch of invasive stuff in my yard-- it's barely
holding its own against the invasive stuff that is already there. There's
something about having to go rescue the bergamot, soapwort and mugwort
from the sweet peas and morning glories, and the southernwood from the
strawberries and some kind of umbelliferous weed. I planted wild geranium
in one corner and thought it died.... now I have wild geraniums in the
lawn and in my potted plants.

I live in a constant state of armed truce with my garden, but it's fun.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
not leadership." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower