[Herbalist] invasive climbing ivy

Kathleen H. Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Wed Jul 24 06:45:16 PDT 2002

I'm not from your area.  Your good description rules out many things.  Since it
has tendrils we can quickly eliminate most vines (all the morning glories, for
example) and most groups with only an occassional vine among many herbs, because
tendrils are specializations for climbing.  Groups (plant families) my books say
have tendrils are the grape family (Vitaceae), the greenbriar family (Smilaceae)
and the cucumber family (Cucurbitaceae, includes gourds). You probably wouldn't
call the cucumber or gourd fruits berries tho.  Peas and their relatives have
tendrils but don't tend to be woody perennials in temperate climates.  Passion
vines have tendrils but not rather bigger fruits, and I don't know any woody
weedy ones in areas that get frost.

Hunting through weedy plant lists for Pennsylvania I came up with Ampelopsis
brevipedunculata.  Here's the best picture I found:
http://www.invasive.org/browse/weedimg.cfm?sub=3007
called porcelain-vine or Amur peppervine.

What else can you tell us to eliminate things it clearly isn't?
Agnes