[Herbalist] invasive climbing ivy

Wes Will wwill at globaleyes.net
Thu Jul 25 15:12:43 PDT 2002

>So either PA has a different attitude or getting help for ones
>garden is a bit different than getting help for a farm.

Both, I suspect.  Of the latter, I'm certain. For gardeners, all of the
service providers even here-abouts have bio-control pamphlets.  They're
dusty, and the box is still full, but they have them.

The USDA in particular was the true problem-child of our local pack of
hounds.  I had an option on 160 acres (4 adjacent sections), and wanted to
put 10 of them in production, to start, of 'non-traditional' crops that
just happen to grow really well around here.  (Mostly herbs, some stone
fruits besides peaches.)  Unless it was corn, wheat, millet, or soybeans,
and unless I needed advice on the biggest and best tractor and spray rig, I
was absolutley S.O.L.

Same deal when I brought up pond-raising fish.  Oddly enough, though,
that's now semi-big business around here, but all mechanized, and very
high-tech.  I gave up, lost the option on the property.  One of the local
rednecks is now growing corn on all 160 acres, has a mortgage bigger than
the GNP of some smaller countries, and will likely lose the entire thing to
the bank within a couple more years.....But the USDA guys visit with him
regularly, kinda old home week.

Anybody Down-Under need a school marm and a computer geek/sysadmin?  We can
toss in a screen-printing-press operator, too.

--
Eoin C.