[Herbalist] Keeping basil for the future

foxryde foxryde at foxryde.com
Fri Jun 21 10:22:28 PDT 2002

--
At 12:04 PM 6/21/02 -0500, Jadwiga wrote:

>If you are going to use it for salad dressing, perhaps you could make
>basil vinegar instead?

I have some basil salad dressing from several months ago that is still
green and yummy in the fridge.  The vinegar keeps the basil from going south.

Good handfuls of basil (I like just a touch of arugala, but not a lot)
Olive oil 2/3 to 1/2
White wine vinegar 2/3 to 1/21/3 to 1/2

blend high speed until smooth and emulsified.  It will separate in storage
into a green layer and a clear brownish layer, but shake and it will mix
back together.

I love this with bread salad.  Damn, I just made myself drool.

Baroness Leonora
Outlands

Fox Ryde Gardens - Handmade herbal products for bath, body, & spirit
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com

  Doing the right thing starts first thing in the morning, Sparky.  Not
after you are caught.
                               -John Criton, FarScape
--

---