[Herbalist] BASIL OIL/canning/botulism

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Jun 27 07:35:17 PDT 2002

> So after reading this I guess that one COULD can herbal oils, but you'd
> obviously want to leave them in the original jars, etc just like any
> canned food.

It does look like you could try pressure-canning some oil with (carefully
washed) herbs in it (let the heat infusion happen during the
pressure-canning process). I haven't any idea what the result would be,
but I would be willing to talk to one of my mom's pressure-canning-fiend
friends about trying it. Might be worth while to talk to the local
cooperative extension home ec person to be sure this is considered safe
though.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"There's nothing like being really disastrously silly to draw your
attention to how silly you are..." -- Elizabeth Goudge