[Herbalist] Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

Tricia Emery jessimond at yahoo.com
Tue May 28 22:14:00 PDT 2002

 I stand corrected...So much for the often unreliable resources I have! <grin>  Thanks for the info!
JessimondAccording to Grieve http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pennyr23.html

This species of Mint, a native of most parts of Europe and parts of Asia, is the Pulegium of the Romans, so named by Pliny from its reputed power of driving away fleas - pulex being the Latin for flea, hence the Italian pulce and the French puce. This name given the plant in ancient times has been retained as its modern specific name. It is sometimes known to the country-people as 'Run by the Ground' and 'Lurk in the Ditch,' from its manner of growth. It was formerly much used in medicine, the name Pennyroyal being a corruption of the old herbalists' name 'Pulioll-royall' (Pulegium regium), mwhich we meet also in the Middle Ages as 'Piliole-rial.' It has been known to botanists since the time of Linnaeus as Mentha Pulegium.