[Herbalist] Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

Collette S. Waters collette at kricket.net
Tue May 28 19:37:35 PDT 2002

According to Grieve http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pennyr23.html

This species of Mint, a native of most parts of Europe and parts of Asia, is
the Pulegium of the Romans, so named by Pliny from its reputed power of
driving away fleas - pulex being the Latin for flea, hence the Italian pulce
and the French puce. This name given the plant in ancient times has been
retained as its modern specific name. It is sometimes known to the
country-people as 'Run by the Ground' and 'Lurk in the Ditch,' from its
manner of growth.
It was formerly much used in medicine, the name Pennyroyal being a
corruption of the old herbalists' name 'Pulioll-royall' (Pulegium regium),
which we meet also in the Middle Ages as 'Piliole-rial.' It has been known
to botanists since the time of Linnaeus as Mentha Pulegium.