[Herbalist] books on medieval medicine

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Oct 3 14:34:05 PDT 2002

> I just bought one at Devra's booth at Pennsic, let me go get it..."The
> Trotula, An English Translation of the Medieval Compendium of Women's
> Medicine", Edited and translated by Monica H. Green, University of
> Philadelphia Press 2002.  I have not had any time to look at it much, but
> from the brief scans I've done, it seems to be 4 or so manuscripts, sort of
> like 'Curye on Inglish'.

Yes, I was the one who brought it to Devra's attention-- she special
ordered the hardback for me last fall. The Trotula is a real find. Devra
also has Hildegarde of Bingen's _Physica_ and _Holisitic Healing_ which is
a translation of her _Causa et Curiae_.

> Good topic, I'd love to spend more time finding stuff off my shelves, but my
> class graduates this weekend - been training new food folks since February,
> and our Baronial 30 event is this weekend.  Good luck, I'm sure it will be a
> very interesting class.  Send me your handout!

Yes, ma'am!

Actually, this class is also a run-up for a lecture/discussion I want to
do for next Pennsic, on Women and Period Medicine..

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
to have been paying attention." _A Little Night Music_
". . .something lingering, with boiling oil in it, I fancy . . ."