[Herbalist] Guild

wjwakefield@juno.com wjwakefield at juno.com
Thu Oct 31 09:55:45 PST 2002

As another member of the Barony of the Steppes Herbal Guild, I thought I
might answer this as well.  We started a year or so ago when several of
us were talking about herbal stuff.  We decided to meet once a month, and
announced the meeting date and location.  Our guild principal has lots of
ideas and spurs us to do assorted projects.  Sometimes we have a workday
to get more accomplished.  Sometimes we have more people at the meetings,
sometimes fewer, depending on what we are working on.  For our October
meeting, we had a lively discussion of "witches herbs", in honor of
Halloween.  Working on projects gets more people involved, I think, than
just having talks.  And it helps to have several people with varied
backgrounds with some herbal experience, and not all newcomers to herbs.

One of the difficulties is that different people have different areas of
interest - culinary, toiletries, herbal crafts, medicinal uses of herbs,
historical background, etc.  We try to cover various areas, but sometimes
culinary gets neglected.  But exchanging ideas with each other is great
fun.

Maybe you could get someone to just start a guild and see how it goes.
Give it a couple of months to get rolling....

Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)