[Herbalist] Re: [Apicius] Eating at Magna Roma

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Sep 18 11:17:03 PDT 2002

> I don't imagine I'll get to Italy any time soon, however, your review
>perked my interest in ancient Roman cooking.  Do you know of any
>cookbooks available in the US that deal with Roman cooking as described
>in this article?

Well, I'm not the reviewer, but I'd start with the stuff mentioned in the
Florilegium:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Romans-msg.html

There are a number of translations of Apicius out there.
Also, an interesting 'glossy' cookbook that has some recipes (I haven't
asked the cooks' list how good it is, is:
_The classical cookbook_, by Andrew Dalby and Sally Grainger.
(Los Angeles : J. Paul Getty Museum, c1996.)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"Once more, my good man, gets you pins in a wax image, or worse.  I'd
do it now, and curse you into the bargain, only I'm crossed in love
and haven't the energy.  Now *you* get out of *my* way." D.W. Jones