[Herbalist] Question

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 6 13:59:11 PST 2003

I could write books on both of these questions, but I will try and be brief.
Please refer to your disclaimer, no prescription implied here, yadada
yadada...
> Gratuitous Disclaimer:  I realize that any suggestions given do not
> obligate me to do them or constitute anything remotely resembling
> liability on the part of anyone suggesting them.

1) boost the immune system
	Echinacea is the media darling for this these days.  It works with your
bone marrow, thymus and spleen to create new white blood cells, boosting
your invader-fighting abilities.  It is best not to take this daily, as
hyper-activating any of your systems isn't good as an on-going thing, take
at least 2 out of every 7 days off.
	Reishi mushrooms and cordyceps mushrooms are the absolute best for boosting
the immune system.  Fungiperfecti sells tinctures of 4 and 7 mushroom blends
that are specific for immune system help, and are used by seriously ill
folks challenged with things like AIDS/HIV, tumors, blood system problems,
and other life-threatening illnesses.
	There are many products on the market formulated for immune system help.
Stick with companies you know and trust, and examine the labels for
ingredients lists and amounts.  Things that contain supergreen foods like
algaes, sprouts and such are good.  Eating lots of raw and living (sprouted)
foods is the most natural way to help out.  Whatever product you buy, stick
with something that you will willingly take on a consistent basis.  If you
buy a tea and it tastes yucky, are you likely to make yourself drink 3-4
cups of it a day?  Tinctures are a very quick delivery system, but you might
take pills better, or vice-versa.  I had a roommate who couldn't swallow
pills, and didn't care how yucky it tasted as long as it was in liquid form.

 2) help with an infection (in a wound) that conventional medicine
> cannot identify?
	Aside from topical applications like calendula (Ecclectic Institute has a
Calendula/Coneflower/and Comfrey cream that we use on all boo-boos, acne,
boils, cuts, animal scratches, plant rashes, etc.), the best thing you can
do is cleanse your blood.  Red Clover makes a delightful tea and works very
well to cleanse your blood and help out the healing process.  Yellow dock,
burdock, dandelion, and other herbs are often combined for blood-cleansing
products, again available in tinctures, teas, capsules, etc.  You might also
consider a more wide-spectrum cleanse that includes fiber and digestive
aids.  I was skeptical the first time someone recommended red clover for a
skin rash I couldn't get rid of, but two weeks of morning and evening cups
of tea completely cleared it away.

I frequently refer to "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by the Balchs,
it is available in health food stores and even in my local Kroger and Publix
these days.  It is listed by ailment (so for example if you want to keep
your heart healthy, you have to look up Heart Attack) so you have to take
your problem to an extreme you might not have to find the appropriate
nutrients to take to prevent the problem, but other than that I find the
layout helpful and well considered.
Good luck, and I think by your first question you are on the right track,
addressing underlying deficiencies rather than just the symptomatic problem
of the infected wound.
Mistress Christianna MacGrain