[Herbalist] Re: Herbalist Digest, EO recommendations for muscle rub

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 16:25:52 PDT 2004

----- Lady Elizabeta of Rundel wrote:

> Sorry it took me so long to get back with you on a list of good
> muscular
> essential oils.  Here is a list of oils and what they are specific
> for as
> well as any recommendations or contraindications that may be listed.

Interesting, some of these are close to late-period receipts.

> Black Pepper Oil - good for muscular aches and bad circulation, also
> used in baths to sto flu symptoms.

For the Cramp - Take sallet oyle and pepper, very smal beaten, & set it
on the fire, & when you go to bed, annoynt the place with it.
Receipt Book of Ladie Elynor Fetiplace 1604+

This is one of my favorites.  It is simple, warming without being
Bengay hot, and an obvious ancestor to cayenne rubs.

> Chamomile - good for anxiety, use in a late bath for insomnia, will
> relax muscles as well as being anti inflammatory.

An ointment for an Ache
Take a pinte of neats foot oile, & half a pinte of aqauvita, & an
handful of cammomill, put them altogether into a pot, stop your pot
very close with paste, and put it in to a pot of water, & let it boyle
fourteene howers, & then take it out & strain it.
Receipt Book of Ladie Elynor Fetiplace 1604+

> Clove - used as an antiseptic, great for tooth infections and pain

The virtues of their oyles
The oyle of Cinamon helpeth all the vital spirits, & doth releeve them
that are sound, comforteth the hart & braine, & strengtheneth the
stomack, the oyle of cloves comforteth the hart & braine, and helpeth
the tooth ake, & also helpeth an ill breath, the oyle of aniseeds or
fennel are good for winde collicks, the oyle of Lavender helpeth the
griefs of the sinews & the cramp, the oyle of sage helpeth the paulsey
and cold diseases.
Receipt Book of Ladie Elynor Fetiplace 1604+

> Peppermint - good for digestion and nausea, irritable bowel syndrome,
> easees migraines and a good insect repellent.

Oyle of Mint comforteth the stomack, overlayed or weakened with
Casting, it doth drive back, or dry up Womens breasts and doth keep
them from being soare, being therewith annoynted
A Book of Fruits and Flowers, 1656

Tara