[Herbalist] Soap- How would they Have

BJ of NZ bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Feb 11 13:46:01 PST 2004

Hi,

 thank you so much for your response I have since this
time had many wonderful responses and have also read
Nostradamus Herbal

I will have to get hold of this
The
> treasurie of commodious
> conceits, & hidden secrets by John Partridge
> (Imprinted at London : By
> Richarde Iones, 1573).
> "To Make Muske Soape
Please can you send me the ISBN Number

He mentions G soap that is very drying and Harsh and
made from the Lye  of glass blowers,-By this I presume
he means lye made from the ashes Glass blowing
creates, as a by product.
another kind lady e-mailed me about the ashes of
Bakers being sold as ashes or as bakers lye.The ashes
were pile into a barrel (or into a sieve suspend above
a barrow) and rain was poured through creating Lye.
I also found in The Spanish Manual for women,  a
recipe for "lye for the head" that adds the burnt
ashes of certain woods to a lye mixture

 sodium hydroxide=Na OH (lye)

The "lye for the head" recipe uses ;
Vine shoot ash-(presumed hi in Nitrogen)
The ash of Broom
White burned argol ---- Argol is the precipitate that
forms on wine barrels. Something tartrate. We call it
"cream of tartar"

I haven't figured out what White burned argol
is,presumedly the argol burnt to white ashes, and once
again they grate premade soap into the mix

Manual of Women in which is contained many and divers
every good recipes Lye for the head Half a celemín of
sifted vine-shoot ash, and an almozada of the ash of
Spanish broom. Put a pot of river water or fountain
water to the fire and, once it is boiling, throw that
ash inside, and leave it to boil twice, and then
separate it and leave it to rest until it is clear.
And take as much of that lye as an azumbre, and get
out a glass jug, and put in it seven ounces of white
burned argol and lid the jug. Grate an ounce and a
half of Valencian soap and throw it inside, and stir
it until the lees separate. And comb or skim the hair
with this lye in the sun, and then wash with other
lye. And when it is combed it is with sesame
oil.http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/manual.ht

I have also chatted with a gentleman and Lady  who
made their own soap using Potash
a messy business.
and something I will do myself one day

Bea Saint-James