[Herbalist] Patchouli Oil

Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Wed Feb 11 22:31:31 PST 2004

Greetings unto the real herbalists from a simple dabbler in the art.

I'm doing a double-check.  I was told that patchouli was an insect repellant.   I picked up some patchouli essential oil, with the thought of preparing an herbal sponge bath every morning at the wars, in place of "Deep Woods Off".

However, patchouli is not an herb I am familiar with.  Where did it come from, and what is its history?  Does anyone know if it is safe as a dilute wash?  Since I first encountered it as a soap, I am fairly certain it is.   Was it used in washing, or should I be sprinkling it on pillows & in sachets, instead?

And my biggest concern: If a tiny bit gets ingested (e.g. from a wetted toothbrush or a silly child), is that good for your health, no real concern, or dangerous?

Thanks!
--Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.