[Herbalist] Patchouli Oil

jenne@fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Feb 12 14:50:23 PST 2004

 > However, patchouli is not an herb I am familiar with.  Where did it
>come from, and what is its history?  Does anyone know if it is safe as a
>dilute wash?  Since I first encountered it as a soap, I am fairly certain
>it is.   Was it used in washing, or should I be sprinkling it on pillows
>& in sachets, instead?

I've read that patchouli was first imported from India into Western Europe
in the 18th and 19th century in packaging for shawls. So the history of it
is Indian rather than European... anyone out there with Indian research
experience?

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"For so many years gentle has been equated with weakness, but it requires
more strength to be gentle, so it's the everyday encounters of life that I
think we've prepared children for and prepared them to be good to other
people and to consider other people." -- Bob Keeshan (Capt. Kangaroo)