[Herbalist] Patchouli Oil

wjwakefield@juno.com wjwakefield at juno.com
Fri Feb 13 16:50:20 PST 2004

Pennyroyal oil, when taken internally, is a very dangerous abortifacient,
which is why pregnant women should avoid it.  But it is safe to use
topically to repel insects, as it is not absorbed through the skin.
However, when used on the skin, it should be diluted with a carrier oil
(sweet almond, olive, grapeseed, etc) - 10 - 20 drops pennyroyal oil to 1
oz carrier oil.  Undiluted pennyroyal oil can irritate the skin.

I am not aware of any cautions with patchouli oil.  But I thought its
reputation in the east was as an aphrodisiac?  I am not very familiar
with it though.

Other herbs with insect repelling properties include several of the
artemisias (wormwood, southernwood, etc.) TOPICALLY; cedar shavings or
sawdust as strewing herbs; lavender for washing linens (repels moths);
garlic or brewers yeast when eaten...

HL Suzanna, herbalist

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:30:06 -0600 "ED Reese" <edreese at m7bedlam.com>