[Herbalist] Weld and other seeds

Tricia Emery jessimond at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 07:03:52 PST 2004

I seem to recall someone recenlty asking about Weld and other hard to find seeds.  While searching for heirloom seeds for my kitchen garden, I came across the website for Plimoth Plantation:  http://www.plimoth.org/

Within their "shop" they have a "horticulture shop" with an impressive "seeds" catalog of Kitchen Garden, Heirloom and Native plants.  They proclaim that their Kitchen Garden Herbs, "are a selection of plants found in 17th-century kitchen gardens".  Among their selection I discovered such favorites as Alkanet, Clary Sage, Feverfew, Flax, Heartsease, Madder, Weld and Woad (just to name a few)!  They also have a large selection of more common herbs, most of which have officinale or officinalis as part of their latin name.

Plimoth Plantation also had an integral part in the creation of Colonial House, (the latest PBS television series produced by the creators of The 1900 House, Frontier House, and Manor House).  The setting for this series is the (American) Eastern seaboard, 1628. The eight-part series will premiere nationally May 17, 18, 24 and 25, 2004 starting at 8pm each night on PBS. For more information about the series, go to the WNET Colonial House website.

In faithful service,

Jessimond