[Hou-announce] Lecture at MFAH - What is Islam, and how is it Expressed in Art?'

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 16:31:28 PST 2008

Greetings,
  This Thursday night 6:30pm, a free lecture will be hosted by the Museum of Fine Arts Houston, in conjunction with the exhibit on Traces of the Calligrapher: Islamic Calligraphy in Practice, c. 1600-1900 and Writing the Word of God: Calligraphy and the Qur´an.

  The lecture 'Islam - what is it? And how is it expressed in Art', will be held on Thursday night, Jan 17th.  Admission is free and open to the public.  A reception follows the program.
  The location is American General Conference Room, the Audrey Jones Beck Building
Where is the AG Conference Room? Go to lower level of Beck Building.
Look for a sign near Café Express that points the way. Or, ask a member of staff.

  Dr. B. Jill Carroll offers a lively, one-hour introduction to the fundamentals
of Islam and how those ideals are expressed in art.

Dr. Carroll is Executive Director of the Boniuk Center for the Study and Advancement
of Religious Tolerance at Rice University, and Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Religious Studies at Rice University. Well-respected for her work promoting religious tolerance, she teaches widely in the Houston area and is the author of numerous articles and three books, including A Dialogue of Civilizations: Gulen´s Islamic Ideals and Humanistic Discourse (The Light, Inc., May 2007) and The Savage Side: Reclaiming Violent Models of God (Rowman & Littlefield, 2002).

  Don Christoforo has seen the Islamic Calligraphy exhibit and recommends it.

  I'm planning to be at the museum for the lecture, and will meet others in the underground at Cafe Express between 6-6:30pm.  The lecture hall is nearby.  Parking is free across from the older museum building but fills up quickly; there is also paid parking in the new museum building.

  If you are interested in attending, please let me know, so I'll be on the lookout for you.
  Regards, Hillary