LR - Loch Ruadh Company

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Jun 1 10:48:19 PDT 2000

Polydore said -

>I like the Ruadh Company or Guard, except that it mixes languages (ekk! - I'm
>making Heraldic noises!).  Does anyboy know of a suitable term of approprate
>form?
>
>Hark

A little research into keeping the language consistent to make our Herald happy has revealed the following:

In Gaelic, guard is garda; guards is gardai.  “Red Guard” would therefore be Garda Ruadh or Gardai Ruadh (the descriptive modifier, Ruadh, comes after the subject, Garda).  However, since it’s our war unit, and as I don’t think we need to run it past the College of Heralds, “Ruadh Garda” should be fine as well.

Other Gaelic words that might be considered:

claiomh		-	sword
claimhte	-	swords
feadhain	-	troop
feadhna		-	troops
fogha		-	attack
foghanna	-	attackers
ionradh		-	invasion
ionrai		-	invasions, invaders
loach		-	warrior
loachra		-	warriors
namhaid		-	enemy
naimhde		-	enemies
saighdiuir	-	soldier
saighdiuiri	-	soldiers
scian		-	knife
sceana		-	knifes
tua		-	axe
tuanna		-	axes

Pronunciation help is available for the Celticly-challenged. <grin>

Nunc Est Bibendum