LR - Loch Ruadh Company

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Jun 1 14:15:37 PDT 2000

Bice' said -

>Even though I 'live' with a bunch of Celts, I have yet to master the
>language.  I believe that phonics was a few years down the road ;) , So
>would you try the written pronounciation of these 3 words: Garda, Loach &
>Lochra?  I understand that Loch is Lock but with an 'a' in it?????  I would
>vote to alter my suggestion of Ruadh Guard to any of these 3 in combination
>with Ruadh.
>
>Any help given this lowly Italian immigrant would be appreciated.
>
>Bicé
>
>PS  Keep our Herald out of it or we will be the Garda Gules! (G)  Or maybe
>something much worse. Of course I'm not sure of the language of the SCA
>sanctioned colors.  Is it French or what?  If so then Garda would be wrong
>too.Oh well (sigh).

Being Irish, I can enlighten anyone!  (Sometimes with a torch, sometimes without...)

We all know, of course, that ruadh is pronounced "roo" - except that it could also be pronounced "ROO-ah".  (Clear as mud so far?  Good.)

Garda is actually pronounced the way it is spelled (an amazing thing in Celtic), "GAR-dah".

The "oa" combination in Gaelic is usually pronounced as a long "o", so loach would be "loke", and loachra would be "LOKE-rah".

Properly set out in Gaelic, "Red Guard" would be "Garda Ruadh" (GAR-dah ROO), "Red Warrior" would be "Loach Ruadh" (loke ROO), and "Red Warriors" would be "Loachra Ruadh" (LOKE-rah ROO).

My personal favorites from the list I sent out are "Feadhna Ruadh" (FAY-nah ROO) or "Red Troop", and "Sceana Ruadh" (SKAY-nah ROO) or "Red Knives".

In Service,
Padraig
(Your Celtic Lexicon)

--