LR - Loch Ruadh Company

Bill Osterheim Polydore at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 1 17:48:27 PDT 2000

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain wrote:

>  Garda Gules! (G)  Or maybe something much worse. Of course I'm not sure of the language of the SCA
> >sanctioned colors.  Is it French or what?  If so then Garda would be wrong too.Oh well (sigh).

Hehe Hehe Heh...(nuff said!!!)

> Being Irish, I can enlighten anyone!  (Sometimes with a torch, sometimes without...)
>
> We all know, of course, that ruadh is pronounced "roo" - except that it could also be pronounced "ROO-ah".  (Clear as mud so far?  Good.)
>
> Garda is actually pronounced the way it is spelled (an amazing thing in Celtic), "GAR-dah".
>
> The "oa" combination in Gaelic is usually pronounced as a long "o", so loach would be "loke", and loachra would be "LOKE-rah".
>
> Properly set out in Gaelic, "Red Guard" would be "Garda Ruadh" (GAR-dah ROO), "Red Warrior" would be "Loach Ruadh" (loke ROO), and "Red Warriors" would be "Loachra Ruadh" (LOKE-rah ROO).
>
> My personal favorites from the list I sent out are "Feadhna Ruadh" (FAY-nah ROO) or "Red Troop", and "Sceana Ruadh" (SKAY-nah ROO) or "Red Knives".
>
> In Service,
> Padraig
> (Your Celtic Lexicon)

Actually, I think I prefer Garda Ruadh... simply because those few english-speaking people around can say it, and perhaps even guess the meaning of the first name.

However, I like the sound of the phrase Feadhna Ruadh! Those would be my choices of what we have so far listed...

Come on, other people! There is no particular reason it has to be in this language...we could even use Texan (shudder...) Any other ideas???

Hark!