LR - Swedish "Huck" weaving

HRAFNASDOT at aol.com HRAFNASDOT at aol.com
Sun May 14 20:22:16 PDT 2000

This item is forwarded from the A&S list - it is something many of us might
be interested in - Is anyone familiar with this reference?     Asa

Back when i was a young sprout, in the 1960's, we did "Swedish
weaving" on huck toweling in our Home Ec. classes in junior high.

It recently dawned on me that this technique, nowadays also called
"Huck weaving" (and "Yugoslavian stitch" in Spanish), would be good
for garb trim, regardless of historic authenticity. With the right
fabric, one could do it right on the garb; in other cases, one can do
it on a strip of appropriate fabric and sew it on. In any case, one
will avoid that "store-bought trim" look.

On the off chance that it might be within "SCA period", i consulted
with a woman i know who is quite knowledgeable about Scandinavian
textiles about whether or not this technique existed "in period". She
said, yes, it did; it was rather late; and done in relatively simple
designs in Scandinavia (or at least Northern Europe).

As Scandinavian textiles are not my area of expertise, i wonder if
anyone has any idea of books or resources where i can see these
patterns - i'll be asking her myself when next i see her, but that
won't be for a few weeks, and i'm eager to get started since i have
to create a whole new wardrobe for myself as all my garb and all my
inkle weaving (some of which was trim on garb), and all my Medieval
Egyptian knitting but one, and some natural dyeing was stolen right
before West Kingdom Beltane (not by anyone in the SCA - and the creep
who took it probably dumped it in the trash after he opened the bags
and saw it wasn't exactly "normal")

Any ideas for where i can see some pictures of historical "Swedish weaving"?

Thanks,
Anahita al-shazhiyya