LR- Notes from Populace Meeting

Sam Milligan padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Apr 5 11:15:20 PDT 2001

- Due to a computer malfunction, Sluggy hasn’t yet completed the Gulf Wars Extra edition of the Scarlet Letter.  If you have anything that you want to submit to be included, get it to him as soon as possible.
- Lady MagD’Leigha, as Central Regional Hospitaler, opened up the Hospitaler’s Office for bids.  Bids will close at the May Populace Meeting.  In the meantime, Lady Bice’ is serving as Acting Hospitaler.
- Lady Elizabeth, as Central Regional Archery Marshal, reminded everyone that bids for Loch Ruadh Archery Marshal will also close at May Populace.
- Lady MagD’Leigha has arranged for a First Aid/CPR class to be taught at Lord Polydore’s on Saturday, 21 April.  The cost is $35/person.  This will give the required certificates necessary to become a Chirurgeon.
- Fighter Practice will also be held at Lord Polydore’s on Saturday, 21 April.  SIDE NOTE:  At Officer’s Meeting, we will be discussing increasing the number of fighter practices held each month, and the possibility of having them in different locations through the Loch Ruadh zipcode area.
- The 3rd Annual Padraig Ruad O’Maolagain Wake and Bardic Beerfest will also be held at Lord Polydore’s on 21 April, commencing immediately after the first aid/CPR class and fighter practice are over with.  Lord Dunstan will provide deep-fried turkey, smoked brisket and at least one other meat will be provided, as will iced tea and lemonade, paper plates and plastic utensils.  Bring a dish to share that will feed at least 6-8 other people and whatever else you like to drink.  Bring chairs and musical instruments.  Also bring your tents and sleeping bags if you intend to become inebriated – Polydore has a big yard with plenty of space for camping.
- You may recall the lady in Irving that we helped out a few weeks back by moving some furniture in her house so that she and her husband could share a bedroom.  After being able to spend a few short weeks together for the first time in 18 months, her husband has now passed away.  MagD’Leigha suggested, and it was agreed, that we should visit her this coming Sunday and take some casseroles and/or desserts, and sing a few songs.  The plan is to meet at MagD’Leigha’s office around noon and go to the lady’s house from there.  MagD’Leigha will be posting more details soon.
- I announced a competition that is open to everyone:  the person who has the most items (any combination of artwork, articles, poems, songs, stories, etc.) published in the Scarlet Letter, beginning with the May-June issue and ending with the January-February 2002 issue, will receive a finely crafted calligraphy pen set.  The set includes the pen, assorted nibs, and ink holder.  The prize will be awarded at the January 2002 Populace Meeting.
- Officer’s Meeting for April has been moved from Wednesday 11 April to Tuesday 10 April.  Location is still Baroness Dana’s house.  This will also be a Lughnasad planning meeting.
- Lady Asa reminded everyone of the frugal garb, miniature siege engine, brewing and bardic competitions being held at Elfsea Springfaire.  If there are any classes that you would like to see given in the Canton, contact Lady Asa and she will coordinate it.
- Lord Daniel intends to arrive at the Springfaire site, Tanglewood Forest in Corsicana, as soon as possible after it opens on Friday 27 April, and is going to secure a camping area for us.  If you intend to camp at Springfaire, contact Lord Daniel or post a message to list to let him know how big a tent you’ll be bringing, and how many people will be with you.
- At Springfaire, on Saturday evening, Lord Polydore and I will be serving a spit-roasted goat as the basis for a pot-luck feast.  We will probably also serve some other meat for those who don’t like the idea of eating goat – say, deep-fried yak.  :)  As with other pot-luck feasts, bring a dish to share, enough to serve 6-8 people.