[Loch-ruadh] Today in History Dec.19

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Wed Dec 19 10:59:04 PST 2001

Hmmm....

I recently saw a show on the History Channel about the development of the
motte & bailey.  It started as a sort of corral, due to the great number of
horses used by Normans, and discussed how these structures, while originally
wooden, became fortified, turning into the "typical" stone castle, with a
drawbridge, turrets, even portcullises (portculli?).

They stated that stone castles were pretty much non-existent until the
Normans started building; even so, the Normans didn't really begin to use
stone until about 50 years after William landed, ca 1116 a.d.

Maybe I need to read up on this some more, but they did show a couple of
archaeological digs.

Madelina