[Loch-ruadh] Today in history July 25

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Tue Jul 24 22:51:08 PDT 2001

0044: Death of St. James the Greater
http://www.catholic.org/saints/saints/jamesgreater.html

0325: The Council of Nicea closed. Regarded as the first 'ecumenical
council,' its 300 attending bishops drafted the Nicene Creed and fixed the
formula for Easter Sunday.

0326: Constantine refuses to carry out the traditional pagan sacrifices.

0975: Birth of Thietmar, Bishop of Merseburg (German chronicler)

1139: Alphonso I, King of Portugal, defeats the Moors

1201: Death of Gryffud ap Rhys
http://www.gigaflop.demon.co.uk/aber/to1300.htm

1215: Coronation, again, of Fredrick II as King of Germany

1261: Michael VIII recovers Constantinople - end of Latin Empire of Romania

1345: John Chaucer, father of Geoffrey, summoned for non-payment of rent

1394: Charles VI of France issues a decree for the general expulsion of Jews
from France.

1398: Birth of Francesco Filelfo http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06071c.htm

1554: Marriage of Mary Tudor, Queen of England, to Philip of Spain

1564: Death of Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor and Maximillian II becomes
emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.

1567: Founding of Caracas, Venezuela

1570: Ivan IV, "the Terrible" Czar of Russia, attends the public execution
of almost all of his advisers and ministers

1573: Birth of Astronomer Christoph Scheiner
http://es.rice.edu/ES/humsoc/Galileo/People/scheiner.html

1582: Death of Philip Strozzi
http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/lit/adventure/GargantuaandPanta
gruel/chap159.html

1587: Japanese strong-man Hideyoshi bans Christianity in Japan and orders
all Christians to leave.

1593: Henry IV, Protestant King of France, becomes a Catholic: "Paris is
worth a Mass!"